- Adam Basanta (QC) – exhibition
- Olivia Block (US) – performance & artist talk
- Jim Denley (AU) – performance
- Kevin Drumm (US) – performance
- Marla Hlady (ON) – exhibition & artist talk
- Eleanor King (NS) – exhibition & artist talk
- Alvin Lucier (US) – compositions performed
- Sylvia Matas (MB) – exhibition
- Mural (NO/AU) – performance
- Jen Reimer + Max Stein (QC) – performance
- Cam Scott (MB) – installation
- Tony Conrad: Completely in the Present (US – film – dir. Tyler Hubby) – screening
Statement from the Director
Sound waves travel through the air and interact with any and all materials in their path, meaning the way in which we receive and interpret sound is greatly impacted by the space in which we inhabit. Physical space, then, not only affords us the calm or the distractions that influence our ability to focus on sound, but also impacts the way that sound moves to, and around, us. This year, our eighteenth edition explores Space & Sound. The concept described above is the starting point with which we expand outward, or inward, encompassing a few intriguing tangents in the midst.
This year we will place you in a variety of unique spaces to listen and to consider the way that the space plays a role in how the artist creates. We will present works that illustrate the audience’s role in this process and other works that approach the theme from architectural, playful, poetic or abstract perspectives.
We begin with three exhibitions and talks with Canadian artists at Parlour, Gallery 1C03, and aceartinc., which run from September through November (varying per show). Amidst these dates we will showcase our annual four-day October festival, featuring artists from Canada, Norway, Australia and the United States.
Join us for an array of beautiful, diverse and stimulating works in some very special contexts and spectacular spaces in Winnipeg.
— crys cole, Artistic Director, send + receive
v. 18 PARTNERS + FUNDERS
- Gallery 1C03
- the Winnipeg Cinematheque
- Manitoba Arts Council
- Canada Council for the Arts
- Government of Canada (Canadian Heritage)
- Winnipeg Arts Council
- Ontario Arts Council
- University of Toronto at Scarborough
- The Fairmont Hotel
- The Uniter
- The Manitoban